A toxic MRO materials master creates problems across the entire asset management operation.
Toxic MRO materials data…
- makes it hard to find parts
- makes the EAM system harder to use
- compromises reporting
- makes it difficult to understand what is being purchased
- places inventory valuations at risk
- creates inventory duplicates
- makes it challenging to create MRO supply chain savings
Let’s take a closer look at a toxic MRO materials master. In the MRO data example below, the descriptions…
- are inconsistent
- lack standard naming conventions
- lack segmentation (i.e., UNSPSC Classification) of the data
- use the manufacturer part number as the primary number
- do not standardize the manufacturer names
- contain data that is entered into the wrong fields
Yuck! Bad MRO data is bad for everyone.
By contrast, high quality MRO materials data…
- makes it easier to find parts
- makes Bill of Materials (BOM) development easier
- makes the EAM system easier to use
- optimizes reporting so that you know what you are buying
- reduces duplicate inventory
- makes it easier to create MRO supply chain savings.
Let’s take a closer look at a clean and standardized MRO materials master. In the MRO data example below, the descriptions…
- are consistent
- utilize standard naming conventions
- include segmentation (i.e., UNSPSC, Class and Commodity) of the data
- use a dumb and sequential part # as the key identifier, instead of using the manufacturer part number as the primary number,
- standardize the manufacturer names
- ensure that the data is entered into the right fields
Nice! Excellent MRO data is great for everyone.
Like we always say, the dough is in MRO. A rich and actionable MRO material master can drive down maintenance and repair costs while improving part availability. A win/win for maintenance and the MRO supply chain.
If you need help with your MRO materials master, please let us know. Our web-based platforms, industry standard libraries, and domain expertise can get your MRO data creating value across the entire organization.
To get 100 of your MRO material records cleansed for free, send an email to email@example.com.
Thanks for reading.